Questions such as “do I need a divorce lawyer to file for divorce?” are common questions that people struggle with when their marriage is ending. Speaking with a qualified family law attorney regarding your legal options during your divorce can help reduce stress and anxiety. An attorney will also protect your best interest.
When should you talk to a divorce lawyer?
- You want to get divorced.
- You think you want to get divorced, but want to know what your options are.
- You have been served with divorce papers.
- Your spouse is talking to a divorce lawyer.
What kinds of issues will a divorce attorney assist with?
The kind of legal representation needed depends on the complexity of each individual couples’ situation. The more complex your divorce is, the more greater your need will be for legal representation.
Some complexities as examples:
- Assets and Property. If you and your spouse own property, you will need to figure out how to divide that property.
- Children. If you and your spouse have minor children together, you will need to resolve child custody issues in your divorce.
- Support. Spousal support, or alimony may need to be determined as well as child support if you have minor children together.
You may have legal issues to resolve that you aren’t aware of.
A lawyer can make sure that your divorce settlement addresses every issue that you might not have thought of. Some of these issues may include future college costs for children, tax issues, division of retirement assets, parenting plan contingencies, proper allocation of debts, and other concerns. A divorce attorney will be able to identify and resolve these issues with you.