There comes a time when each of us wakes up and realizes it’s time to make a change. Even when you don’t know exactly what needs to change or where to start, small action steps can initiate positive shifts and lead you to the next, often larger, lifestyle change. When you are serious about improving the quality of your life, any of the following changes may serve to begin the process of an inner transformation that propels you into your next phase in life.
Change Opens the Door to Opportunity
- Meditate: Ever wonder why you hear and read this suggestion over and over? Developing a meditation habit really is one of the most powerful changes you can make in your life and the best time to start is today.
- Spend time outdoors: Sadly, some people only go outdoors to walk to and from their vehicle. Spending time outdoors doing something you genuinely enjoy will brighten your mood and shift your perspective for the better.
- Exercise: Regardless of what type of exercise you prefer, the hormones produced while working out will leave you feeling energized and ready for more positive shifts in your life.
- Read a self-help book: Self-help books have served as a catalyst for personal growth and transformation in a countless number of people. With literally thousands of books to choose from, there’s sure to be a title that intrigues you.
- Spend time with your child: Children tend to have much more carefree attitudes than adults and their presence often feels like a breath of fresh air. If you have a shared custody arrangement, make sure to carve out quality time with your kids. They will appreciate your time and attention and you’ll be more present to savor every precious moment. If you don’t happen to have any kids, you can spend some quality time getting in touch with your inner child—that is, do an activity that helps open you up and puts you back in touch with your lighthearted self without the external pressures or the voice of your inner critic.
- Get to bed earlier: Being chronically deprived of sleep (like so many Americans) doesn’t exactly set the stage for a great day, so make it a point to get to bed earlier when you want to foster positive life changes.
- Look for the positive in every situation: When you train yourself to see the positive aspect(s) in all situations, life begins to change in ways that were once unimaginable. The most challenging circumstances tend to bring the most profound life lessons, so look for the silver lining.
- Give up blaming others: Giving up the blame game means you’ll never again be a victim in your life. While it sounds simple, this tremendous shift in perspective can lead to true empowerment and mastery over one’s emotions.
- Volunteer: By volunteering for a local organization, you are opening the door to becoming more connected in your community. Not only can it provide both personal and professional opportunities, but it’s very fulfilling when you’re able to participate in a cause that is near and dear to your heart.
Now is the Best Time to Start Making Changes
No matter where you are in your life today, making even a small change can get you moving in a more positive direction. With a commitment to healthy changes, you may wake up one morning and realize your life has never been better and is nothing like what it once was. Your life is a gift and you have the opportunity to make it better, right here and now.